Monday, June 22, 2009

I Guess Rehab Isn't THAT Bad

It's easy for me to complain about being stuck running short rehab runs every night, but sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have such a scenic loop directly across the street from my house. Sure, it's no mountain backdrop, but as far as man-made views go, it's tough to beat this route. I grabbed my camera on the way out the door tonight (still light at 8:50 p.m.!) to give everyone an idea of what my daily views are like on my runs...

I head out my front door and run 1 block up the street to the Library of Congress steps (where I also work). From there I have this view of the back of the Capitol Building (which used to actually be the front, but we'll save the history lesson for another time!).

From the LoC steps I run up the newly landscaped back lawn of the Capitol to pick up the grassy path on the side. From there I head down the long hill that leads soft dirt paths of the National Mall (excellent for rehab, I might add).

You can tell I was chasing sunlight tonight, but even without proper lighting or a fancy camera, you still get the idea. If you click on this picture, you can see the Washington Monument on the other side of the Mall. Since it's about 2 miles from my house to there, that makes for a convenient 4 mile rehab loop!

Guess who can't hold the camera still while running?

Got there just in time to squeeze out the last bit of sunset for lighting. If I had any kind of real camera, you'd see that the monument is actually lit beautifully at night. If anyone is ever in DC would like a personal running tour in the evening to see it for yourself, by all means drop me a line!
One more close up from the Washington Monument before turning around and heading home!

...and here's the home stretch as I head back to the Capitol finish line! Just another ho-hum rehab run around my front yard!

3 comments:

TonyP said...

That is just awesome. I remember how cool it was running the Marine Corps Marathon last year....to get those views on your every day runs is a treat.

scooping it up said...

that sky is killer. hopefully we can make it down and i can do photography with my "fancy" camera ;)

Dan Rose said...

Stace-Face,
Yes indeedy, you could do some serious portfolio-padding w/ the monuments and sunset on the Mall w/ your fancy camera. I might even show you around if you ask nicely!