Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Fun in the Sun - Race Tomorrow!

The hot hot hot course!

Just back from a trip to the start line (lowest point below sea level in the US).  It was amazing to walk out there on the salt flats with the ominous 11,000 ft peaks just a few miles off in the distance. I took lots of good photos with my real camera of the team and the sights out there. My post race report should be a great one to see next week!
Before our trip out to the flats this morning, I woke up at 5:30am (still on east coast time in my head) and caught the brilliant sunrise over the mountains to the east. Fellow crew member Dan Hartley told me the 'golf course' here at the resort is the lowest in the world in terms of elevation, so I walked over to check it out. On the way I found 3 golf balls in the brush, so I figured that was a sign that I needed to play a hole or two in order to be able to say I played at the lowest course in the world. The guy at the pro shop let me borrow a 7 iron and putter, and I was able to play two holes (bogey, par) before the sun was over the mountain and I needed to run for shelter. As you can imagine, no one actually plays this course this time of year, and even at 6:30am I knew why.
I'm off for my run on the course now (5 or 6 miles) to keep the heat acclimation going strong. Race day will be here tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May inspiration cool you, runners!

Anonymous said...

The race was described and previewed Monday a.m. on The Weather Channel. Forecast: guess!

scooping it up said...

Good luck Danny boy. I have no idea how I lost track of your blog, but glad I remembered to find you again. Don't you got dyin' on me.