Monday, November 22, 2010

The Need for Speed (Translation: I am slow!)

Now that I'm a couple weeks into my new training plan, one fact has made itself abundantly clear:

I used to be fast.

...or at least much much much faster than I am now. Sure, it's been a solid 12 years or so since I've done any focused speed work on the track, but still, it's not like I'm in bad shape right now. Even with the lack of track time, I still run solid tempo runs every week, and I figured those would at least allow me to jump back in and run some relatively quick 1/4 mile laps. As it turns out...NOPE!

After two trips to the track, I think my legs and lungs are doing their best to quickly file a 'Cease and Desist' order to keep this trend from continuing. It doesn't seem like so long ago when I would glide around the track in what could be an endless string of 60-second 400s. Now, when I finish just a few at 70-second pace, it appears to on-lookers that I'm actively trying to breathe out of my eyes.

Clearly I've uncovered an area of my training that has been woefully neglected, and I know I need to pay the price over the next couple months to get things back to where they should be. The hard-working part of my brain is embracing the challenge with a mighty "Bring it on!!", but at this point the rest of me is most definitely responding with a "Seriously, Dan, what is wrong with you?". Hopefully the next couple months of track visits will result in all of me responding in a much happier fashion.

To all of you who are out of school and still keep speed work as a regular part of your training schedule, I have a whole new level of respect for you! Keep it up!

7 comments:

UltraBrad said...

ahh, yes. one man's slow is another man's pr.

Ned Barrett said...

I find that the older I get, the faster I was...

Ned Barrett

Brian Schmidt said...

Misery loves company. When I schedule a track workout for my team, I can't keep up with my boys, so I end up pacing the girls. But put a tempo in the training plan and they can't touch us. Anything under a 800 hurts too much and the body yells at you.

Dan Rose said...

Brad - I don't know about you, but I've got plenty of work to do before we run that 2:40 at the Tobacco marathon in March!

Ned - Amen!!

Brian - I can't imagine trying to keep up w/ high schoolers now. Some of the kids at my track have run a few laps with me, but I know they're just being polite. Looks like I made the right choice when I got into coaching softball!

Chris Roman said...

Yes humbling for sure and a much neglected part of my training. That will all change big time if that July invitation comes my way in Feb :)

UltraBrad said...

You did mean 2:50...right? Because I'm shooting for 2:50. You, however, with your soon-to-be-re-acquired 400 meter speed, can go out for a 2:40. God speed and good luck!

(And, yes, I have plenty of work to do before then.)

Dan Rose said...

Hey, 2:50, that sounds WAY better! Count me in on that plan.

Chris - No need for speed on your BW plan...that plan should be all about pacing 135 miles. I know you'll be executing that plan perfectly too, because I'll be screaming in your ear the whole time if you go out too fast! Looking forward to it (the run, not the screaming)!