Saturday, December 13, 2008

Giddy-Up - 2009

The past week has been frustrating in terms of trying to set up my 2009 race plans. No, I didn't get into Massanutten...and no, the National Team folks won't accept the Virginia 24 Hour Run as a qualifier for the National Team, so I had to take a step back and remember why I started running these races in the first place. While goals like the National Team and avenging DNFs are fun for extra motivation, the real reason I like to run all day and night is to be happy. Deep down, that's what it's all about. Every long run is a celebration of life and freedom and all that positive emotional crap. Sure, the other goals are great, but they're secondary benefits for certain.

That said, I've found a few races and volunteer/pacing opportunities that will both make me happy and coincide nicely with *real* life stuff like work and family. I'll add a race or two in the fall as the schedule for those shakes out (and yes, one of those races will most likely be a 24 Hour Team qualifier), but for now, here's what I have lined up through September:

Iron Horse 100 Mile - Florida - February 21
National Marathon - DC - March 21
Bull Run Run 50 Miler (run or volunteer, depending on the lottery)- VA - April 18
Massanutten (Pace/Crew) - VA - May 16
Mohican Trail 100 Mile - OH - June 20
Cheat Mt. Moonshine Madness 50 Mile - WV - August 28
Ottawa International 24 Hour Run - Canada - September 13-14

That's all for now...Since I'm now running a 100 miler in February, I need to put down the pie and hit the roads! Giddy Up!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ottawa 24 hour race is a good choice for an autumn (sorry ... fall) attempt to qualify for the USA team. The Sri Chinmoy people really do look after the runners - no unforeseen hills to contend with either. I've taken part in three of their races now and got a pb (sorry again ... pr)every time. All the best for the new year.

Dan Rose said...

Thanks for the info, Chris! I've always heard that the Sri Chinmoy folks put on great races, so I'm really looking forward to heading up there! Special thanks go out to Jamie Donaldson who clued me in on this race...I guess I never thought to look to Canada for races, but this one is perfect (and only an 8 hour drive from DC)!

Jamie Donaldson said...

I guess I'll see you many many timees (around and around and around) in Canada! HA!

Dan Rose said...

I'll bring along my RATT cassette from the 80s that has "Round and Round" on it...seems more than appropriate for this venue!