Monday, December 22, 2008

Imerman Angels


I'm extremely proud to announce my affiliation with Imerman Angels, a fantastic non-profit organization that matches cancer survivors like me with newly diagnosed patients for one-on-one support. Founded by cancer survivor Jonny Imerman, this organization works sort of like an eHarmony for cancer patients and survivors. The matches are made based on common ground in terms of age, gender, type of cancer, and treatments/medications. As someone who has gone through a fight with cancer myself, I know the immeasurable value a connection like this can be for a newly diagnosed patient. I am greatly looking forward to helping as many patients as I can in the coming years.

I also want to highlight that the mission of this organization is first and foremost its dedication to matching as many patients to survivors as possible with no 'hard-core' fund raising premises worked into the plan. I will always come up with new fund raising goals on my own, but I will be 100% honest in saying what means more to me than donating money is being able to directly inspire and support patients currently fighting this disease. It's great to work hard and raise money for research as well, but it's impossible to put a price on developing a relationship with a fellow patient and being there to support them in whatever way they need. I can't thank Jonny, Laura, and all the great folks at Imerman Angels enough for allowing me the opportunity to make so many of these meaningful connections.

For anyone reading this who knows a fellow cancer survivor, I highly encourage you to pass along the link to Imerman Angels. It just takes a quick phone call to add your name to the list of survivors, and it could very well end up being the best Christmas gift you ever give someone. ...and it's free!

With that, I'm off to enjoy the holidays with family and friends...see you all in 2009!

Happy Holidays to everyone!!