Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mohican 100: Right Around the Corner!

 First off, I need to send a big congrats out to Amanda Stickel and her gutsy performance over the weekend at the NF 50 Miler in DC.  It was her first 50, and even though she didn't win, as her pacer I saw her give it everything she had out there. I was pretty darn proud of her! Here's the shot of her fighting off the pain and fatigue as she crosses the finish line. Well done, Amanda!!

Moving on the title of this post: It's hard for me to believe the Mohican 100 miler is only 8 days away now. Since I haven't had a focused training period since France, this race really snuck (sneaked? snooked? ...why, oh, why did I sleep through English class?!) up on me.

Even though I've "called off the dogs" in terms of how hard I'll be running out there in the hills of Ohio, I'm happy to report I had a follow-up doctor's appointment today (got the green light, with a word of caution from the old school doc: "Pace yourself, Son."), and have been running comfortably over the past couple weeks with no kidney pain. The heat/humidity over that time has also given me a nice acclimation period for the summer, and I can definitely feel my body's ability to cool itself reaching optimal levels for the months of heat ahead. Things are looking great for the rest of the year!

That said, I'm still not taking any chances at Mohican. I'll go out slow for the first 50 and make sure my hydration is on track and my kidneys are operating properly. After that I might pick it up a bit, but certainly not with the intention of hunting down the leaders. With runners like Brian Krogmann and Brad Smythe ready to fly out there, they'll be long gone by time I hit the half-way point. I won't be catching them (and probably a couple others), but I will put in an honest effort all the way to the finish. This will be the 21st running of the Mohican race, and I have tremendous respect for everyone involved in putting on such a great event for so many years. The best way I know how to show my appreciation is to run the best race I can under the circumstances...and, of course, to thank all the volunteers along the way!

Since Utterli is long dead at this point, I won't be able to call in any live updates during the race, but I should be able to post something here on the blog from my iPhone once I finish. I'm working on a new way to post audio updates while I run future races, but I haven't been able to iron out all the technical stuff in time for this run. I'm working on it though!

15 comments:

Ric Munoz said...

Thanks for the update on Amanda's finish -- next time she'll get a monster 50-Mile PR!

Glad to hear you got the doc's green light for Mohican. I'm sure you'll follow doc's orders and not push it. We need you all healthy for the remainder of your 2010 races (and beyond)!

Unknown said...

Good luck and glad you aren't running in a skirt. Then I will see you alive again!

TonyP said...

Best of luck at Mohican!!!! Turns out I won't be able to make it out.

nmp said...

Good luck Dan! Glad to hear you are healthy - hopefully you will not have any trouble

By the way, from the above comment, I hope you havn't ditched the skirt :)

Dan Rose said...

We'll miss you out there, Tony! Although you're probably a little travel-weary after your BW training camp in CO last weekend. Keep up the great work on that end, and we'll catch up down the road at another event!

As for all the skirt talk, the Governor (Jamie) has issued an official pardon to me, so everyone will have to wait for me to lose another bet before I have to run in such high fashion!

Jamie Donaldson said...

Have fun at Mohican Dan! I know you probably would have had a lot more fun in the skirt, but oh well! I think you are going to surprise yourself there! Pent up French tension will be released!

Anonymous said...

Mohican might be muddy, we have been getting a lot of rain and it doesn't look like it will let up. But let hope the weather will change and dry out!

Dan Rose said...

Thanks for the tip! History has proven that I'm a pretty strong 'mudder', so this may help me out!

Chris Roman said...

Congrats to Amanda and good luck to you. Say hey to Brad for me :)

Debra Horn said...

Good luck at Mohican! We will, unfortunately, be in PA visiting Roger's dad. Remember that Ohio has alot more hills and deerflies than people give it credit for.... and yes, it's been very HUMID here... hopefully things will cool off by the weekend.

Dan Rose said...

Crap...deerflies LOVE me! It's like my blood tastes like a martini to them or something. They just swarm around me and bite away for hours. Never thought I'd say this, but I hope it rains the whole time to keep them away!

Ben Blessing said...

Dan, you need to moderate your Ultracentric Race Report. It is receiving tons of spam. My email alerts me every time a new comment is added.

David Kennedy said...

Best of luck to you this weekend Dan, go get 'em...I'll say I'm a little disappointed in Jamie for the pardon though, after all a bet is a bet...just sayin'

Dan Rose said...

Thanks for the heads up, Ben. Although, now that I've deleted all the spam comments, I feel bad for cheating everyone from such great offers for low, low auto insurance rates...and high, high erection potential...

Ric Munoz said...

Can't wait to read all about this weekend's race, Dan -- good luck!!