Monday, February 25, 2008

Week Training Log: 2/18 - 2/24

You know those mornings when you roll over and think "There's no way I'm getting out of bed today"? Well, I was fighting a cold last week and when I woke up on Saturday for my scheduled 35 miler, I felt like I had already run 135 - I was wiped out. To add to my misery, my throat felt like it was stuffed with shredded balsa wood...and even though I didn't try to speak, I'm sure if I did it would have sounded something like Kathleen Turner impersonating a screeching cat fight. Not pretty.
Once I finally dragged my butt out of bed (and directly to the couch), I sat there until about 2 or 3pm before realizing there was no way I could cover 35 miles that afternoon. Since I hate missing my weekly mileage goals, I knew there was one option: switch my Saturday long run to Sunday, and run the 8.5 mile "Sunday" run that afternoon. Given my sickly state (and the crappy 35 degree/overcast/humid day), even 8.5 would be a challenge, but it was the best solution I could find - so on went the shoes and off I went. Surprisingly the run went pretty well (although I was D-O-N-E at the finish), and I promptly took a shower and went right back to bed. Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day (sunny 40-ish, no real wind) for a 35 miler, and the extra rest proved to be just what I needed. The run went perfectly. Best of all, through 10 weeks of training for the Umstead 100 miler, I haven't missed a workout yet. You gotta love that.

Week Log:
Monday - 8.5 Miles, Hains Point Loop
Tuesday - 8.5 Miles, Hains Point Loop
Wednesday - Off Day
Thursday - 8.5 Miles, Hains Point Loop
Friday - 4.3 Miles, Treadmill Death March
Saturday - 8.5 Miles, Hains Point Loop
Sunday - 35 Miles, Mt. Vernon Trail
TOTAL MILES: 73.3

No comments: