Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Peak Weeks

It's amazing how time flies when you're training for a big race. With March just a couple days away, my two peak training weeks for the Umstead 100 Miler have arrived. I'll be ramping up the miles both this weekend and next with consecutive 25 milers on Fri-Sat-Sun to really test my level of fitness and teach my legs to run while already fatigued a bit. I'll also plan to run each one faster than the day before to keep me from cruising through any easy miles. This type of push suits me perfectly about a month before a big race, and the reward that follows is my favorite time of the year: Taper time.

I just drew up my taper plan for the final 3 weeks before the race, and I had to smile as I saw the total weekly miles drop each week. My legs will be happy to rest and reload before the big run on April 5. There's nothing like waking up on race morning with your legs feeling like loaded powder kegs ready to blow. ...but I won't get ahead of myself here - I've got one final stretch of hard work these next two weeks. Bombs away!

No comments: